At the beach
The <strong>Island of Ré</strong>, this peaceful little haven and jewel of the <strong>Atlantic coast</strong> is situated opposite La Rochelle, in the <strong>Charente Maritime</strong> region, with its mild and sunny climate.
A reputed peninsula, offering many different landscapes : marshlands, dunes, fine sandy beaches, forests etc., not to mention the 10 charming little villages scattered over the island, with their ports, narrow little streets with flowers, and white houses with coloured shutters. A little corner of paradise to be enjoyed by the whole family, discovering villages, beaches and pine forests on foot or by bike.
The <strong>Island of Ré</strong> offers an attractive coast line, with a wide range of water sports, as well as beautiful natural sites for cycling and walking.
Activities available near by:
- Water sports : regattas, wind-surfing, sailing, kayak, surf, kite surf
- Bathing on the beaches of the l’île de Ré
- Boat trips, hiking on footpaths, cycling on the many cycle tracks, horse-drawn carriage rides
- Daily market
An exceptional natural setting, combined with an impressive historical heritage, making for a host of sites to visit in the region:
- La Rochelle and its aquarium (12km)
- Typical villages and charming harbours
- Ecology-museum of the salt-water marshes
- Island of Aix, Fort Boyard (cruises between the islands)
- The Chauvreau lighthouse
- The Défend marshes
- The fortifications of St Martin de Ré
- Cycle paths (more than 90 km)
- Water activities and Fitness area at Saint Martin de Ré
- La Flotte with its medieval market and pedestrian streets
- Bird reserve at Portes en Ré
Tourist Office - 3 Rue du Père Ignace 17410 Saint-Martin-de-Ré